Posted on: 24 February 2021
Many homeowners don't recognize that the insulation in their homes could be making their families sick. Old cellulose and fiberglass insulation have a tendency to hold onto any particles they may come into contact with over their lifetime. These particles can be released into your home, polluting the air your family breathes. As such, the best way to prevent insulation-related illness is to upgrade to spray foam insulation.
1. Reduce Allergens
If anyone in your family has allergies or a respiratory illness, exposure to allergens could exacerbate their symptoms. Both fiberglass and cellulose insulation have small openings that allow air to circulate throughout the materials. This air can contain allergen particles, like dust or pollen. Allergens become trapped in the insulation particles and are then dislodged as more air moves through the small openings into your home.
Fortunately, spray foam insulation has no openings. The closed design of this insulation material prevents any air movement and keeps allergen particles out of your home.
2. Prevent Pests
Fiberglass and cellulose insulation can be very inviting to a wide range of pests. Mice, rats, bats, squirrels, and other small critters can take up residence within traditional insulation. Unfortunately, the droppings that these pests leave behind have the potential to make your family seriously ill. Diseases like hantavirus and salmonellosis can be contracted through exposure to pest feces.
The molecular design of spray foam insulation prevents pests from using this insulation as a nesting ground. Upgrading to spray foam insulation can help you avoid exposure to dangerous droppings inside your home.
3. Manage Mold
One of the major flaws associated with fiberglass and cellulose insulation products is that they are susceptible to water damage. Any leaks that form within the walls or attic of your home can saturate traditional insulation materials. Even water vapor and condensation can pose a threat to the integrity of fiberglass and cellulose insulation. Once these insulation materials become wet, they don't dry out. This may lead to the growth of mold.
Unfortunately, the spread of mold and mildew can negatively affect the health of your family. Mold spores that have become trapped within traditional insulation materials can begin to spread when exposed to damp insulation. Some individuals may experience nausea, fatigue, and respiratory distress when exposed to mold spores.
to remedy this, it is important to use spray foam insulation, as it will not retain water. This means that you never have to worry about moist insulation contributing to mold growth when you retrofit your home with spray foam insulation. Contact a spray foam insulation supplier for more information.Share